When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- LinkedIn created a list of the most in-demand hard and soft skills in 2020’s job market.
- The company used data from 660+ million professionals in its network and 20+ million job listings to determine the skills in high demand relative to their supply.
- You’ll find the 15 hard and soft skills listed below, as well as affordable online courses you can take to build them.
- See more: 9 online computer science classes that are free until May 31 — and each comes with a free certificate you can add to LinkedIn
It can be difficult to discern which skills companies are prioritizing, and what makes your résumé — but not another — stand out to recruiters. This common gripe among job seekers is why LinkedIn uses its vault of business data to create a job market road map each year.
This year, the company used data from 660+ million professionals in its network and 20+ million job listings to determine the hard and soft skills that are most in-demand (and most likely to get a candidate hired) in 2020.
To define the most in-demand skills, LinkedIn focused on skills that are in high demand relative to their supply. Demand was measured by identifying the skills listed on the LinkedIn profiles of people who are getting hired at the highest rates. Only cities with 100,000+ LinkedIn members were included in LinkedIn’s evaluation, according to the company.
Below, we compiled the most in-demand hard and soft skills of 2020, according to LinkedIn. The online courses we listed to help you build these skills — LinkedIn Learning, Udemy, Coursera, and edX — are among the most popular and inexpensive options available today.
Coursera and edX allow you to take classes from the top universities in the world, like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, and more, for a fraction of the cost. You can audit nearly all of these courses for free, but auditing typically doesn’t include graded homework or full access to course materials. You also don’t receive a certificate of completion when you audit, which you can add to your résumé, CV, and LinkedIn profile. Enrollment fees for these online courses typically range from $30-$160. Right now, Coursera is offering $0 enrollment to 100 courses until May 31.
Udemy offers over 100,000 video courses and typically prices them around $13 each. LinkedIn Learning offers over 15,000 courses and comes with a free one-month trial. After the trial period, access is $29.99 a month or $240 a year.
Below are the 15 hard and soft skills that are most likely to get you hired in 2020, according to LinkedIn:
Artificial Intelligence: The most in-demand hard skills in 2020
Most of this year’s hard skills are in rapidly evolving fields and emphasize the importance of analyzing data. 2020 is the first year blockchain has topped LinkedIn’s in-demand skills list, and business analysis (now #6) climbed 10 spots since 2019.
Artificial Intelligence: 1. Blockchain
- Blockchain Basics, available on LinkedIn Learning
- Blockchain Basics, available on Coursera
- Blockchain Specialization, available on Coursera
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies, available on Coursera
- Blockchain: Foundations and Use Cases, available on Coursera
- Professional Certificate in Blockchain Fundamentals, available on edX
- Blockchain for Business, available on edX
- FinTech, available on edX
- Developing Blockchain-Based Identity Applications, available on edX
- Blockchain and Bitcoin Fundamentals, available on Udemy
- Blockchain A-Z: Learn How To Build Your First Blockchain, available on Udemy
- Ethereum and Solidity: The Complete Developer’s Guide, available on Udemy
Artificial Intelligence: 5. UX design
- Getting Started in User Experience, available on LinkedIn Learning
- Interaction Design: Interface, available on LinkedIn Learning
- Adobe XD Essential Training: Design, available on LinkedIn Learning
- UX Design: 1 Overview, available on LinkedIn Learning
- UI/UX Design Specialization, available on Coursera
- User Experience Research and Design Specialization, available on Coursera
- Introduction to User Experience Design, available on Coursera
- Interaction Design Specialization, available on Coursera
- Human-Computer Interaction, available on edX
- Design Thinking: UX and Advanced Topics, available on edX
- User Experience Design Essentials – Adobe XD UI UX Design, available on Udemy
Artificial Intelligence: The most in-demand soft skills in 2020
Soft skills are harder to quantify than hard skills. They’re typically what interviewers are trying to gauge by asking about your management style or how you’ve handled career setbacks in the past. Four of the top five soft skills in 2020 are the same as they were in 2019.
Artificial Intelligence: 1. Creativity
Organizations need people who can creatively approach problems and tasks across all business roles, from software engineering to HR. Focus on honing your ability to bring new ideas to the table in 2020.
- Banish Your Inner Critic to Unleash Creativity with Denise Jacobs, available on LinkedIn Learning
- Creativity For All (Weekly Series), available on LinkedIn Learning
- Creative Exercises to Spark Original Thinking, available on LinkedIn Learning
- Creativity, Innovation, and Change, available on Coursera
- Innovation: From Creativity to Entrepreneurship Specialization, available on Coursera
- Creativity & Entrepreneurship, available on edX
- Innovation and Creativity Management, available on edX
- Design Thinking and Creativity for Innovation, available on edX
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.